Applications are Now Closed: Assistance to Pay Your Rent and Utility Bills

The Housing Authority of the County of Kern stopped accepting applications for the Rent and Utility Assistance Program (RUP) on Wednesday, Aug. 31, 2022. Applications received on or before August 31 will be processed and approved based on priority grouping, with the highest priority given to those categorized as “High Needs.” Click on the portal link below to check the status of your existing application.

Registered applicants can check their status and update information on their existing application through the online portal.

You may be eligible for grant assistance that doesn’t have to be paid back.

The Housing Authority, on behalf of the City of Bakersfield and County of Kern, has a program to provide financial assistance for your rent and utility bills, including past-due bills.

Rent and Utility Assistance Applications are Closed

Applications are now closed for assistance from the Housing Authority. The following documents are required if you submitted an application on or before 8/31/22:
Valid government ID (expired documents and utility bill with name and address are acceptable alternatives). A copy of your lease, rental agreement, or other evidence of your rental obligation. If you have one, provide a copy of your most recent past-due rent statement. If you have one, provide a copy of your eviction notice Income verification (see application for all that apply).
If you do not have some of the required documents noted above, please complete the self-attestation form below and provide with your application.

How does the Rent and Utility Assistance Program Work?

You Apply

Submit your application for Emergency Rent & Utility Assistance online, by mail or in-person.

We Review

We will review all applications to determine eligibility and grant assistance. We will notify you once a determination has been made.

We Pay

Assistance is paid directly to your landlord or utility company. Under rare circumstances, assistance may be paid to you.

See if You May Be Eligible for Assistance

Help with your rent and utilities is now available if you meet the following requirements:

  1. At least one member of your household qualifies for unemployment or has experienced a reduction in household income, incurred significant costs, or experienced a financial hardship due to COVID-19;
  2. Demonstrate a risk of experiencing homelessness or housing instability;
  3. Have a household income at or below 80 percent of the Area Median Income (AMI); and
  4. Are a renter in the City of Bakersfield or Kern County, including unincorporated Kern County and all other municipalities within the county

Income Limits to Qualify for Assistance

Additional Eligibility Information

  • Rental assistance provided to an eligible household should not be duplicative of any other federally funded rental assistance provided to such household
  • Eligible households that include an individual who has been unemployed for the 90 days prior to application for assistance and households at or below 50 percent of the Area Median Income are to be prioritized for assistance.
  • Household income is determined as either the household’s total income for the calendar year 2020 or the household’s monthly income at the time of application. For household incomes determined using the latter method, income eligibility must be redetermined every 3 months.

IMPORTANT UPDATE: As of Wednesday, Aug. 31, 2022 the Housing Authority will no longer accept new applications for the Rent and Utility Assistance Program (RUP).

Applications are now closed.

Are you missing documents to finish your application? Click Here to download an Attestation Form you can fill out and submit.